Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Further Evaluation of My GAME Plan...

I continue to work on my GAME plan for becoming more proficient in NETS-T indicators 2b (“Teachers develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.”) and 4a (“Teachers advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources.”).



http://www.lehigh.edu/~clb208/immagini/Work_in_progress.svg.png

For indicator 2b I cannot fully determine how my actions are helping me in meeting my goals since I am on summer vacation and, therefore, do not have students and data to analyze. I am working on providing resources for my students to use in managing their own learning, and I am spending time locating and becoming comfortable using a variety of technology tools for students to use in the classroom. I feel that this is an important use of my time, since I would like to be able to offer a variety of tools for my students to use.

For indicator 4a I also continue to work on developing a plan for teaching practical and safe Internet practices…this takes time in order to cover the important parts, without spending too much science instructional time (something I know my school administration team keeps a close eye on…I am working to weave the safe practices pieces into my content.

I found a new resource: http://siemensscienceday.discoveryeducation.com/ by investigating the blog of a classmate: Virginia Crisanti at http://www.artrendipity.com/. I have already pulled three lessons from the site that would fit seamlessly into my curriculum! Something I have learned about this that I can apply to my instructional practice is to continue to use the expertise of those around me in my school, as well as professionals around me online. There are so many ideas that I have not yet had myself!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Holly,
    During my development, I have discovered as well that the steps needed for my own GAME Plan has required alot of extra time and research. Yes, school is about to begin and I do not want to take waste valuable instructional time because we have a mandatory two hour reading block. But, I do plan to build on small steps that I feel will make a difference. To advocate internet safety and practical usage, I have posted cyber-safety posters in my computer center and the office. Below I have pasted a poster link for you to view maybe you can use them.

    List of Internet Safety Posters:
    http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/infosec/posters.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,

    Your idea of working to find new resources and technology tools for your students to facilitate and manage their own learning seems like a great goal to work on over the summer. I too have been trying to become more proficient with the tools that I find, so my students will not be investigating them without guidance. I am curious as to how you plan to integrate these resources into new lessons for the upcoming school year. Do you plan to do this individually, or to elicit the help of other professionals in your school? Do you feel that you will have administrative support and understanding for how you will need to modify your pacing with the curriculum? This aspect is so important for success!

    Best of luck to you,

    Kelly H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FDozier,
    Thanks for the link...looks like I may be able to use some of the posters you sent my way...anything to use as a reminder to students about Internet safety! Thanks!

    Kelly Hart,
    I definitely plan to use the expertise of my PLC (Professional Learning Community) in order to determine where we will get the most bang-for-our-buck! I do feel there is administrative support in integrating 21st Century Tools in our classes, I just hope the technology is there to use! I do not foresee a need to modify my district's pacing as much as the path we take to get there. If my students can learn the same, or even more content while doing an alternate activity, in addition to learning to use technology tools, then I see nothing wrong in substituting along the way. This does not mean to design a new curriculum, but it does mean my students may learn the same thing a different way, and hopefully extend beyond the classroom while doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete