Wednesday, August 18, 2010

GAME Plan Reflection…

The GAME plan process has really changed for me over the course of this class. It was initially challenging for me to sit down and lay out a plan for something when I really was not sure how to use it with my students. Over time I realized that it is alright to not really know how a plan will work out, but to have the end-goal in mind. If the process of arriving there does not work out the way one might have anticipated right away, there is an opportunity to monitor the effectiveness of the plan and evaluate/extend as necessary. It is alright if part of the plan just does not work…it allows the teacher as the lesson planner and the student as one with their own learning goals to grow as an individual after self-reflecting on the process.

While I have always valued goal-setting for my students, after using the GAME plan process I have a concrete way to help my students set goals for their own learning…manageable goals that are tailored to them and their needs, rather than cookie-cutter for a “certain kind of student.”

I would immediately like to use technology to help students in the area of reflection…both on themselves, and on others as well. I plan to set up a discussion board for the opening of school, and begin using it right away. I would also like to use VoiceThread to immediately begin recording lab activities and lab basics for students that are absent on certain school days. I have thought about starting an after-school club to allow students to help with this, and then make the VoiceThreads available not only to my students, but other teachers’ students as well. I believe this would be beneficial for students and parents/guardians alike. I chose these components to add to my instruction immediately because they are manageable for me, and I think they will be manageable for my students and parents and give us the most “bang for our buck” right away.

 
Image from: http://www.homedecoratingblog.org/home-decorating-tips/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall

No comments:

Post a Comment